Wednesday, June 06, 2007

25 things I like about SYG

SYG is coming up this weekend. Yes, it is over the queen's birthday weekend, and I am fairly excited about it, as it always is a sigificant part of my year, each year. Hence, I thought I'd blog something about it. I have included 25 reasons why I really do enjoy SYG (State Youth Games). Just in case you don't know what it is, I will tell you: it is basically a weekend where heaps of people (approx. 2000 competitors) get together and play in various sport competitions throughout the weekend, and compete for their teams, which are usually defined by the church group you attend the weekend with.

1- Spending a week away form normal life is mostly always a good thing.
2- I get to meet and have fun with all my friends from almost all the churches I know.
3- I get to play sport for most of the weeked! Especially the sports I don't usually get to play.
4- Staying up late is fun. (We generally stay up late)
5- I love being in a community of people who you know are all in the same boat as you (i.e. camping, same religion, there for same reason etc.)
6- Getting to play sport where if you are winning, people who are not from your team still support and cheer for you.
7- Getting top play sport where if you are losing, other teams are very nice about it, and you still have heaps of fun.
8- Eating meals with a large community of people.
9- Having custard for breakfast that was left over from the night before.
10- Having custard the night before.
11- Slipping into a sleeping bag at night, when it is freezing, and slowly becoming warm.
12- Not feeling obliged to have a shower.
13- Smelling like smoke all weekend.
14- Sitting around the fire at night.
15- Playing sport (e.g. Ultimate Frisbee) in the mud, and occasionally while it is raining.
16- Occasionally having a good speaker and band that do a worship service at night time. This is not always good, though.
17- Dancing in front of thouzands of people.
18- Winning events.
19- Sharing in other people winning events.
20 - Losing events. Yes, only at SYG is losing an event so fun and satisfying.
21- Simply competeing in events at SYG.
22- Waking up early, and putting on shorts, even though it is incredably cold.
23- Laughing at why we always have this event in the middle of winter.
24- Getting lifts everywhere, so that you can compete in events and support other people who are competeing in events.
25- Meeting new people, and seeing people you havn't seen in a long time.

7 comments:

B.C. said...

Ah yes SYG. I do enjoy it. Although you are right, sometimes speaker isn't good, and I do sometimes not like the band worship stuff.

But it is a fun weekend. Indeed. I. Enjoy it. Oh yes. It is fun. That is for sure. I really do like it. Quite rightly so. It's awesome. Fantastic. Splendid. Smanbastical. Yep. I. Do. Love. It. Indeed. Fun weekend.

Where am I? Can I trust you?

- xox - HA!

some girl said...

I only heard of SYG this year, and obviously have never been.

It sounds funtastic! Although I'm not heaps into sports, I'm sure I'd still have fun... I'm into some sports...

Explainage as to why speaker and stuff isn't always good. Now.

Mr Waters said...

SYG is a fantastic weekend. I always enjoy it and can't remember a year I havn't gone.There were years before memory in which I didn't attend.
It's great to see that you, as one of the not so many people that have attended more often than myself, are still enjoying the fantastic event that is SYG. That means there is much hope for my continued enjoyment of it.
Keep Enjoying the dancing.
We'll see you there.

Kyla said...

Yay! SYG!! I'm so shattered I can't come for the whole time and so excited about coming up for sunday! Hope you all have a great time til I get there! (and after I get there..) Yay! See you sunday!!

B.C. said...

.. oh my gosh. MATT LEFT A COMMENT! ARGHHHHHH

Jono said...

I am so honoured. I comment from Matt! Awesome. Doe sthis mean there is a new post on his blog. I will check. SYG is awesome. Emily, you should come. Now.

-xox-

some girl said...

Jono must win a special prize or something because he got a comment from Matt/Distant relative...

I would come, but my church doesn't go, so either, I convince my church to do it and not be so exclusive, or I latch onto another church. Bahaha.

Next year. After exams, how convenient. If it's after exams again.