Monday, June 18, 2007

INFP

Well, many people may know of the Myers-Briggs personality test type indicator thing. I thought it may be interesting to include a little post about what type I think I am. I don't agree with the fact that many people choose "mates" and base their lives around what they know to be their personality type, but I do think it is an interesting thing to look at, at least so you can understand yourself and others better.
Anyway, I'll explain what I mean by personality types. Basically, you get a four letter personality thing. Some personality options are ENTP, ISFJ, INTJ and ESFP. Anyway, it works like this: you get either an E or and I, then either an N or an S, then either a T or an F and finally a J or a P. I will explain below, and share what I believe I am.

Extroversion vs Introversion (E vs I)

Basically, for those who don't know, and extrovert is a person who gains energy from those around them, and an introvert gains energy from inside themselves. The two terms are also concerned with where we direct our energy. A common comparison between the two is that an extrovert is "extensive", while an introvert is "intensive". Of the many times I have done personality tests (approximately 7 times), I have always come up with near 100% I (Introversion) and near 0% E (Extroversion). I can see this definately. I am a very introverted person, and gain my enegery from within myself. This means I often need time alone, and in terms of relationships with other people, I rather have a few good/close ones, rather than a lot of not so close ones. I am an "I", all the way.

Sensing vs Intuition (S vs N)

Yes, I know, intuition is spelt with an "I", but "I" was already used for the previous letter, so no using it again. Basically, this section deals with how we process information. Sensing people take in the true hard facts, they interpret things for what they are and notice things that are real and tangible. These people are observant. Intuition people take in not what they sense so much, but they take in the big picture, focus not on depth of fact so much, but on the connecting of the facts to the larger picture, if that makes sense. Haha! Get it? "sense"?! Anyway, some common comparisons between the two are that S=dwells in present, N=dwells in future. S=Truist experience, N=trust inspiration. S=undertsnads ideas through practical examples, N=wants to clarify ideas before putting them into practice. For ths one, I am fairy definately an N. Every test I have ever done has always returned this same result. There, it is as simple as that. I am an N, here.

Thinking vs Feeling (T vs F)

This one deals with how we make descisions. We either think about them, and come up with logical descisions, or think and make descisions according to how they may affect other people, or from "our heart" or "gut feeling". Basically, it is the difference between making logical descisions,a nd thinking about them as opposed to going with our feelings and doing what is "right". Possibly. Basically, I am not sure which one of these I fit into, I tend to do some of both, but according to the test results that I remember most, from the first time I did this test, in the most test-like conditions, with the most questions, it returned that I was an F. I think I can agree with this. It is the documents from this first test I did that I am using to jolt much of my memory about these things, where I would have otherwise fogotten them. (See below for quotish thing). I am an F.

Judging vs Perception (J vs P)

This comparison is all about how we organise our life. Judging is to do with deciding, and making definate descisions about how we are going to do things, and living in a planned and ordely way. Percieving, on the other hand, is about going with the flow, and taking everything as it comes. These people tend to be spontaneous or simply indecisive, as final descisions seem confining to them. I definately relate strongly to this last one. Much like T vs F, most times I do a personality test, I have come up with a different answer to this one. Maybe I simply change with time, but I have been told that that is supposed to be impossible. I am very factual, and make descision consciously about everything, but I am often inclined to make descisions to go with the flow! How does that work! Make descisions to go with the flow. It's like merging the two together. So, again, I am not entirely sure, but that first test I did returned the result of P, but I am not entirely sure I am P over J. I really could be either.

So, basically, I am an INFP. Form my document I got in response to my test, which was many pages long, this was the brief overview of what this personality type means:

INFP: The most idealistic person:

Quiet observer, idealistic, loyal. Important that outer life be congruent with
inner values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, often serve as catalysts to
implement ideas. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is
threatened. Want to understand people and ways of fulfilling human potential.
Little concern with possessions or surroundings.


NOTE: This type is the most "idealistic" type. That is not the most "ideal" type. There is a difference. Look it up. I can't be bothered explaining it.
I think this applies well to me. But all the variations with J vs P and T vs F seem to suit me as well. The only things I can really say for sure is that I am "I" and "N".
If I am not an INFP, I am an INFJ. If anybody want any more information from me and my many documents about all this stuff, just ask. I can also send you a copy of a test for you to do.
Awesome.

5 comments:

Lauren Pinches said...

I am 'INFJ', so very similar to you. I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't choose your friends on the type of person they are and definately not just have all intraverts because you are also an intravert.
This test is so interesting and tells you a bit about yourself, however I don't know if I agree with being set into four categories. Also as you stated you were confused on the last two categories, as am I. Many people don't see the percentages behind the categories, which becomes confusing and gives place for questioning of, for example, how intraverted I am.
Really interesting Blog. I'm now inspired to take the test again and see how much I have changed form the second retreat at Vetamorphus.

Jono said...

Yeah, I said not too much trust shoudl be put into it. Tests like this can only be ambiguous, although they do help you to understand aspects of yourself that you may not have previousy, or it can help other people to understand otehr people's differences, and how to deal with them, etc. The test I took the firts time was very intensive. It took over an hour to complete, and they gave me about 20 pages back explaining stuff as it is specific to ME, and not just to the whole INFP demographic. I also have a whole book on it, although the book is contraversial and says things that are too definate. Whoever wrote the book must have been a J.

B.C. said...

I have done this test several times and always gotten mixed results. I've had about 10 different answers, with I's and E's, and all the others switching constantly. It just shows the complexity of us as humans, and how difficult and broad a test must be to create only four categories in which to fit.

I like that it gives you aspects of yourself to think about, but I don't really give it much merit otherwise. But it was an interesting blog, and you should post the test for people to do again. Hoorah.

Jono said...

Yes, good idea. I will do a post later on with a test for people to do which can give you your personality type. I must find a test first. yes.

some girl said...

Wow, we're the same!

Which I suppose is why these things are ambiguous, because while we are similar in some things, we're still two different people.

Glenda does a lot of this stuff at Vetamorphus. It can get a little annoying because sometimes I feel like she's categorizing me... but I love Glenda, she's awesome.